----------------------------------------------- ------------- Day-ly Genealogy Blogposts: Somber Sunday, Obits of 23 Mar 1893 Traverse City

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Somber Sunday, Obits of 23 Mar 1893 Traverse City

Hello everyone, I thought of starting Somber Sunday just to have a guide for doing something continuous on a given day. The same principal as Tombstone Tuesday and Wordless Wednesday. In doing this I thought Fun / Funny Friday might be a good thing. Today as I begin to post to Somber Sunday I went to newspaperarchive.com to look for something that caught my eye to post. In doing this I thought, why not use Somber Sunday as a day to post all the deaths on a given day from the local newspaper. This is what I have done here. I will continue to do this on Somber Sundays to add more obituaries to the web.

All Deaths in the Grand Traverse Herald Newspaper
Traverse City, Michigan
23 Mar 1893 pg 5

Charles H. Kimball of Fife Lake was killed near Corning, New York on a railroad on which he was working as brakeman. his body was brought to Fife Lake for burial.


At Beaver Island there recently died Mrs. McDonohugh aged 94 years. She came to the island some thirty years ago and had never left it since.


Death of Mrs. E. W. Waterbury :
Death of Mrs. E. W. Waterbury died very suddenly at her home on Washington St., on Sunday evening, March 19th.
Mrs. Waterbury had not been ill, excepting that she was suffering from a severe cold. On going to her room about ten 0'clock she complained to her daughter that it was much worse, and was suddenly taken with a severe pain in her chest. Miss. Waterbury made her lie down, and went for remedies, but in a very few minutes she breathed her last.

On Monday evening friends and neighbors gathered for a simple service, mainly of song and prayer, conducted by Rev. D. Cochlin, and early on Tuesday morning her son and daughter took her remains to Polo, Illinois, her former home, for burial.

During the months of her residence in Traverse City, her nearer neighbors has come to know her as a gentle, motherly woman, whose heart was in her home, and whose quiet ministrations made that home a very happy one. Much sympathy is extended to the son and daughter who home happiness has been so suddenly shattered.

Her family in Traverse City consisted of A. E. Waterbury of the firm of A. E. Waterbury & Co., his little daughter Elizabeth and his sister, Miss Minnie Waterbury. Mrs. Waterbury's husbaqnd has been dead for many years; the other near surviving relatives are three daughters, Miss Bessie Waterbury of Polo, Il, Mrs. H. C. Peek, Oregon, IL and Mrs. M. L. Rogers, Exeter, Nebraska. Mrs. Waterbury was about sixty-eight years of age.


Newspaper continues: Page 6
Death of A. M. S. Holmes
Mr. A. M. S. Holmes, father of O. V. Holmes, died at his son's residence at Walton, February 16, 1893, aged 78 years. Mr. Holmes was born in Ontario, but for thrity years or more had lived in New York state until about two years ago, when he came to Walton to make his home with is son.
He was married at the age of 21 and there have been four boys and two girls in the family, and the father's death is the first to break the family circle. Mrs. Holmes survives to mourn the death of a faithful and loving companion with whom she had shared the joys and cares of life for fifty-seven long years.

Mr. Holmes united with the Presbyterian Church when 18 years old and always remained a faithful member, taking an active interest especially in the temperance cause, gaining the name of the "war-horse," for his stout advocacy of temperance reform. Mrs. Holmes remains in the family of her son at Walton.


Another Pioneer Gone
Grandma Thomas, of Northport peacefully passed away on March 12th after a week's serious struggle with a bad cold or la grippe.

The deceased was born on the 8th of October 1819 at Deftford, Kent Co., England. She was married there on the 8th of February 1845; was the mother of 8 children, six sons and two daughters--one daughter died four years ago last October.

The deceased came to this country from England in 1848 and settled in [Lamaqua], Schulkkyl County, Pennsylvania, and moved from there to Ashton, Carbon Co., in the same state. From Carbon she came to Northport in 1856 when the country was new. She had united with the Congregational Church in High St, Deftford, England. Rev. J. Pallen was pastor at the time. Being one of the pioneers of the district and having her letter from England, Grandma Thomas became one of the charter members of the Congregational Church of Northport.

For a number of years she has been very much afflicted. She bore her affliction with remarkable patience and christian fortitude. She is now at rest with that Savior whom she loved so well and served so faithfully. I have had some delightful conversations with her from a Christian point of view. In my visits I was very much impressed by her strong faith in Christ, with a patient hopeful spirit and bright expectation of a kindly welcome by her Savior as well as by her perfect resignation to the will of her Heavenly Father.

The funeral services were conducted on Tuesday at the Congregational Church, by the pastor, assisted by Rev. J. Burdge, after which the remains were interred in the Northport Cemetery.
M. C. Dixon, Pastor.


George H. Bregg, son of George and Harriet Bregg, was born in Steuben Co., New York, June 14, 1860. He came with his parents to Michigan in 1872 and settled in Grand Traverse County, on Feb. 17, 1884, he was united in marriage to Miss Helena, daughter of Robert and Isabella Dixon, with whom he lived in loving concord until Feb. 27, 1893, when he quietly closed his eyes to all earthy scenes, aged 32 years, 8 months and 13 days.

He knew the hardships of pioneer life and braved manfully the privations incident to those early times. His educational advantages were only such as the common schools of the neighborhood afforded, but he improved his opportunities to such a degree as to qualigy himself for intelligent citizenship. Turning aside from the allurements of the city he gave his attention to the cultivation of the soil and found in the flowers of the field a rarer beauty than in the tinseled show of the metropolis. The song of wild bird and the lowing of his cattle was sweeter music to his ear than the rattle of drums of the blare of cornets.

While not a professor of religion, he cherished a profound regard for those who exemplified it in their lives.

His domestic life, sweetened by the presence of an affectionate wife and and loving boy, made his paradise on earth; and was the strongest tie that bound him to this world.

In March, 1891, he went with his family to the Pacific coast and settled in Washington, but the climate was unfavorable to his health and in December of 1892 he returned to his old home in Michigan. He sought medical aid, but Death had marked him for prey, and on the morning of Feb. 27 as his friends were standing around his bed they realized that George H. Bregg had "gone all the way of all the earth." (Com)